Is Phentermine a Good Option for Weight Loss?
Answer from Meera Shah, MD
Phentermine (Adipex-P, Lomaira) is an amphetamine-like prescription drug used to suppress appetite. It can help you lose weight by reducing your hunger or making your village feel fuller. Phentermine is also available in combination with topiramate for weight loss (Qsymia).
Like other prescription weight loss drugs, Phentermine is intended to be used as part of a general weight loss plan. It is recommended for people who are obese and have not been able to lose enough weight with just diet and exercise – not for people who want to lose only a few pounds.
Phentermine is a List IV drug, a classification given to drugs that have a potential for abuse, although the real potential seems to be low.
Common side effects of phentermine include:
- Increased heart rate
- Feeling tingling or stinging in the hands or feet
- Dry mouth
Although phentermine is one of the most commonly prescribed medications for weight loss, it is not a good option if you have heart disease, high blood pressure, an overactive thyroid gland or glaucoma. It is also not for women who are pregnant, may become pregnant, or who are breastfeeding.
Get the latest health information from Mayo Clinic experts.
Sign up for free and stay up-to-date with research advances, health tips, and current health topics such as COVID-19, plus experience in health management.
In order to provide you with the most relevant and useful information and to understand what the beneficial information is, we may combine your email and website usage information with other information we have about you. of the Mayo Clinic, this could include protected health information. If we combine this information with your protected health information, we will treat all of this information as protected health information and use or disclose that information only as set forth in our privacy notice. You can unsubscribe from email communications at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link in your email.
Thanks for subscribing
Our Housecall e-newsletter will keep you up to date with the latest health information.
Sorry, something went wrong with your subscription
Please try again in a few minutes
- Negative calorie foods
- Protein shakes
September 11, 2020
- Phentermine hydrochloride. Facts and comparisons. https://www.wolterskluwercdi.com/facts-comparisons-online/. Accessed January 14, 2019.
- Perreault L. Obesity in adults: Drug therapy. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed January 14, 2019.
- Phentermine. Micromedex 2.0 Healthcare Series. http://www.microdexsolutions.com. Accessed January 14, 2019.
- Apovian CM, et al. Pharmacological Management of Obesity: A Clinical Practice Guide for the Endocrine Society. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. 2015; 100: 342.
- Phentermine hydrochloride / topiramate. Facts and comparisons. https://www.wolterskluwercdi.com/facts-comparisons-online/. Accessed January 14, 2019.
See more expert answers